Why This Works
Donors - You tell us that you want:
1. A free, quick, easy way to see if anyone out there wants your extra stuff before you have it hauled away to the dump. You feel a little guilty about chucking things that are perfectly good, and you're in a time pinch.
2. Not to have to search for takers.
3. A convenient drop-off OR stuff picked up at your convenience.
4. Cancellation and rematching if an initial match doesn't work out quickly or conveninetly. No awkward explanations necessary
5. An "I'm In A Hurry" [give first one my email] or "I'm Choosy" [give me a waiting list to choose from] option for level of participation in matching for each posting depending upon my time constraints.
6. A tax-deductible receipt and reprint handy incase lost before April 15th .
7. A hassle-free, spam-free, furthur request-free service.
Recipients - You tell us that you:
1. Want a free, easy, user friendly service.
2. Welcome email alerts with subject titles showing what's available near you that matches your wish list.
3. Are understaffed and overworked, so searching around for donated supplies isn't going to happen very often.
4. Feel awkward refusing unwanted donations. You appreciate a confidential "potential matching alert" system that allows you to ignore gifts that are untimely or unhelpful.
5. Want to be able to cancel inconvenient matches no awkward explanations necessary.
6. You want your info on the paperwork if you're a charity, and happy if the paperwork is written up automatically.
7. You need items even though you're not a charity and are grateful for a fiscal sponsor to help virtually accept and redistribute inkind goods.
At Matter of Trust's Excess Access Program - we've learned that
1. Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. So prepare a wish list.
2. Continual monitoring of postings is necessary even if matching is automatic.
3. In 15+ years we have never had an incident! Knock on wood. Let's keep it that way and continue to be smart about donation transfers. Of course, we always reserve the right to pull and delete any offensive or illegal donation / wish postings.
4. The spirit of giving is harmoneous. We are orchestrating, you are instrumental!
5. Excess Access members are designing this system. You are generous, helpful, active, inspirational, trailblazing people full of great ideas! It's a privellege to be working with you!